Food for Thought Blog
Rabideau Law is in the Spirit of Giving
October 24th, 2018Stories
As the holiday season approaches, it is a great opportunity to think about how we – as a community – can help some of the most vulnerable in Waterloo Region put food on their table. Thankfully, we have strong relationships with many corporate and community partners, that help us ensure no one goes hungry.
At Rabideau Law, they are already planning their impact with the launch of their upcoming food drive. The team recently announced they will be holding a Food Drive, in support of The Food Bank of Waterloo Region, from November 1 – 27, 2018, all in the spirit of Giving Tuesday. Have a read below to learn how this local organization is making a difference.
What is GivingTuesday?
As stated on the GivingTuesday website:
“It is a global movement for giving and volunteering, taking place each year after Black Friday. It’s a time when charities, companies and individuals join together and rally for favourite causes. In the same way that retailers take part in Black Friday, the giving community comes together for GivingTuesday.
GivingTuesday harnesses the potential of social media and the generosity of people around the world to bring about real change in their communities; it provides a platform for them to encourage the donation of time, resources and talents to address local challenges. It also brings together the collective power of a unique blend of partners – nonprofits, civic organizations, businesses and corporations, as well as families and individuals – to encourage and amplify small acts of kindness. Across Canada and around the world, GivingTuesday unites communities by sharing our capacity to care for and empower one another.”
To work our Food Drive in with GivingTuesday, we will be going to visit The Food Bank on November 27th to deliver the donations we have collected over the month.
Why should you donate?
- The Food Bank serves a Community Food Assistance Network of more than 80 agencies and community food programs. 2,000 meals are served daily by this Network.
- 36% of households seeking assistance are families with children.
- Just $1 will provide 3 meals.
- 215 food hampers are distributed every day.
- Community nutrition workers teach healthy eating and food budgeting skills at 16 different locations.
- 1 in 20 households in Waterloo Region are hungry.
How Can You Make a Difference?
- Make a donation – $20 will feed a family of 4, for 4 days (tax receipts are available for donations!)
- Donate food – most needed items include: canned stews & chili, canned meats & fish, beans in sauce, pasta sauce, canned pasta, canned fruit. A complete and up-to-date list of the most needed items is available here.
Donations will be accepted at Rabideau Law, 501-305 King Street, West, Kitchener, ON. When making your donation, be sure to let us know whether your donation is in support of Geoff Rabideau or Roger MacIntosh’s team.
If you have any other questions, feel free to contact Kayla at firstname.lastname@example.org.