Food for Thought Blog
Fiesta Vegetable Soup
This recipe is a budget-friendly and healthy meal idea using some of the ingredients packed in our emergency food hampers that are distributed weekly by the Community Food Assistance Network.
Serves: 8 | Preparation: 15 minutes | Total: 45 minutes | Difficulty: Easy
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ½ pound (250 grams) ground meat, of choice (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 ½ cups bell peppers, of choice, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup corn kernels
- 1 cup shredded cheese, of choice (optional)
- 1½ cup tomatoes, diced (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook oil, ground meat, garlic, onion, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper until meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add peppers, carrots, broth, 1 cup of water and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add beans and corn, cook 3 more minutes or until warm.
- Serve topped with shredded cheese, tomatoes, and sour cream (optional).
Adapted from: ontario.ca