Food for Thought Blog
This recipe is a budget-friendly and healthy meal idea using some of the ingredients packed in our emergency food hampers that are distributed weekly by the Community Food Assistance Network.
Serves: 8 | Preparation: 8 minutes | Total: 15 minutes | Difficulty: Easy
- 1 box (375 grams) pasta of choice
- 2 cups corn kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- ½ medium red onion, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with chilies (or regular diced tomatoes)
- ¼ cup taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup shredded cheese, of choice (optional)
- In a large pot, combine pasta, corn, bell pepper, red onion, diced tomato, taco seasoning, salt, vegetable oil and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook covered for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. There should still be some liquid left in the pot when done.
- Remove from heat. Stir in black beans and cheese (optional). Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes or until beans are warm and cheese is melted.
Adapted from: thewholesomedish.com