Canstruction® 2019Skip to Event Details
DESIGN. BUILD. FEED.
Canstruction® is a unique, international event engaging designers, architects and engineers to use their talents to help those struggling with food insecurity. The event raises funds, food and awareness for local food banks. Competing organizations strengthen their team while gaining profile in the community. In Waterloo Region, Canstruction® has raised food and funds to provide more than 1,000,000 meals since 2008.
The event will run: March 9 – 17, 2019 at Conestoga Mall
Interested in participating in 2019 Canstruction® Waterloo Region? Contact our Community Events Coordinator or register below.
Registration - Deadline December 31, 2018
Registration is now full. If you are interested in participating in Canstruction® please contact Becky Riley
The following is a summary of the 2019 Canstruction® Waterloo Region Competition rules. Please also download and read the full rules and regulations here.
Size of Structure – Maximum size for a structure is 10ft L x 10ft W x 6ft H.
Size of Build Team – Maximum size of each team is five (5) builders at a time in 10 x 10 build area. Additional team members are allowed outside of the build area to assist with other duties.
Build Time – Maximum build time is six (6) hours. No build should exceed 6 hrs.
Props – Props, Boxes and Bagged food are strongly discouraged. Judges prefer pure food structures. Try to solve all design problems with food items.
Types of Cans
- Nutritional canned food of all sizes may be used.
Non Permissible Items:
- NO glass containers, alcoholic beverages or soda
- NO junk food or pet food (Make every effort in designing your structure to use nutritious, edible foods for the food bank)
- NO opened, exposed or expired food
- NO covered, stripped off or altered labels. Cans must be full, unopened, and with labels intact and legible.
Types of Structural Support
- Clear and double-faced tape
- Velcro, magnets
- High-tension rubber bands, nylon string, wire, tie-backs, zip ties
- Tubes, wooden and threaded rods used for alignment
- One-quarter inch thick materials- for the purpose of leveling materials and not as load bearing.
Below are suggestions ranging from lightest to toughest
Non Permissible Items:
Structures MUST be structurally self-supporting:
- NO 2 x 4 boards
- NO leveling boards greater than 1/4” thick
- NO sheet metal
- NO permanent adhesives
- Eligible winning structures from Canstruction® Waterloo Region will be submitted to Canstruction® International to compete against other city wide winners
- Most Cans
- Best Use of Labels
- Best Meal
- Structural Ingenuity
- Best Original Design
- Judges Favourite
- People’s Choice
- Registration Deadline – December 31, 2018
- Team Captain’s Meeting – January 9, 2019
- Initial Design Form – January 11, 2019
- Final Design and Team Information – January 31, 2019
- Transportation Request – January 31, 2019
- Food Purchase Deadline – January 31, 2019
- Food must be at The Food Bank – March 1, 2019
- Mall Build – Note: Build to be completed within 6 hours – March 8, 2019 (9:30 a.m.)
- Mall Teardown – March 17, 2019 (5 p.m.)
Initial Design Form - Deadline January 11, 2019
Final Design & Team Information Form - Deadline January 31, 2019
Canstruction Food Purchase form - purchase by January 31, 2019
Canstruction Food Purchase Form click here – purchase by January 31, 2019
Transportation Request - Deadline January 31, 2019
To ensure your food is ready for Canstruction(R) Waterloo Region, please register for a food pick up date and time by clicking here.
Food orders will be picked up in the allotted time and transported to The Food Bank of Waterloo Region for event preparation.