Canstruction® 2020Skip to Event Details
DESIGN. BUILD. FEED.
Canstruction® is a unique, international event engaging designers, architects and engineers to use their talents to help those struggling with food insecurity. The event raises funds, food and awareness for local food banks. Competing organizations strengthen their team while gaining profile in the community. In Waterloo Region, Canstruction® has raised food and funds to provide more than 1,000,000 meals since 2008.
The event will run: March 14-22, 2020 at Conestoga Mall.
Canstruction® Waterloo Region Team Information
- Registration Deadline – December 31, 2019
- Team Captain’s Meeting – January 8, 2020
- Initial Design Form – January 15, 2020
- Final Design and Team Information – January 31, 2020
- Transportation Request – January 31, 2020
- Food Purchase Deadline – January 31, 2020
- Food must be at The Food Bank – March 6, 2020
- Mall Build – Note: Build to be completed within 6 hours – March 13, 2020 (9:30 a.m.)
- Mall Teardown – March 22, 2020 (5 p.m.)
The following is a summary of the 2020 Canstruction® Waterloo Region Competition rules. Please also download and read the full rules and regulations here.
Size of Structure – Maximum size for a structure is 10ft L x 10ft W x 6ft H.
Size of Build Team – Maximum size of each team is five (5) builders at a time in 10 x 10 build area. Additional team members are allowed outside of the build area to assist with other duties.
Build Time – Maximum build time is six (6) hours. No build should exceed 6 hrs.
Structures Must Be Built Using Cans – Packaged food may only be used to accent your structure but must not be more than 10% of your structure.
Types of Cans
- Nutritional canned food of all sizes may be used.
Non Permissible Items:
- NO glass containers, alcoholic beverages or soda
- NO junk food or pet food (Make every effort in designing your structure to use nutritious, edible foods for the food bank)
- NO opened, exposed or expired food
- NO covered, stripped off or altered labels. Cans must be full, unopened, and with labels intact and legible.
Types of Structural Support
- Clear and double-faced tape
- Velcro, magnets
- High-tension rubber bands, nylon string, wire, tie-backs, zip ties
- Tubes, wooden and threaded rods used for alignment
- One-quarter inch thick materials- for the purpose of leveling materials and not as load bearing.
Below are suggestions ranging from lightest to toughest
Non Permissible Items:
Structures MUST be structurally self-supporting:
- NO 2 x 4 boards
- NO leveling boards greater than 1/4” thick
- NO sheet metal
- NO permanent adhesives
- Eligible winning structures from Canstruction® Waterloo Region will be submitted to Canstruction® International to compete against other city wide winners
- Most Cans
- Best Use of Labels
- Best Meal
- Structural Ingenuity
- Best Original Design
- Judges Favourite
- People’s Choice
Registration for the 2020 Canstruction® Waterloo Region is now closed. For further information please contact Becky Riley at email@example.com.
Initial Design Form - Deadline January 15, 2020
Final Design & Team Information Form - Deadline January 31, 2020
Canstruction Food Purchase form - purchase by January 31, 2020
Canstruction Food Purchase Form click here – purchase by January 31, 2020
Transportation schedule will be available in February for those doing a pre-build at their place of business. Please prepare to have items begin being picked up February 24th.
Items being picked up at the stores will be transported to The Food Bank when they arrive.
Donate to Vote
Have your say during Canstruction® Waterloo Region! Stop by Conestoga Mall between March 14-22, 2020 and check out the remarkable structures on display and donate to vote for your favorite (these votes will decide the People’s Choice Award). Voting is easy and can be done in person at Conestoga Mall or online.
Try-A-Build is an opportunity for corporate and community groups as well as the general public to experience Canstruction® Waterloo Region on a smaller scale!
Corporate and community groups, are invited to pre-register for a build during the week of March 7-12, 2020.
The general public is invited to join us at Conestoga Mall on March 7-8 for a chance to get creative and put their design skills on display!
If you would like more information about Try-A-Build, please contact, Trish Rampersad-Marinoni.