Food for Thought Blog
January 21st, 2021Food
HOW TO CHOOSE
- Choose dried beans that have bright coloured, smooth skins, without shrivels.
HOW TO PREPARE
- Dried kidney beans: Soak beans overnight (8 hours or more) before cooking
- To cook, use 3 cups (750 mL) water for every cup (250 mL) of soaked beans. On the stove, bring beans and water to a boil and simmer 45 minutes to 60 minutes. In the microwave, heat on high for 10-15 minutes.
- Canned kidney beans can be rinsed, drained and eaten raw or added to a bean
salad with vinegar and pepper.
HOW TO STORE
- Dried beans can be stored in sealed containers in a cool, dark and dry area.
- Once cooked, can keep in the fridge for 5 days.
HOW TO FREEZE
- Cooked beans can be frozen in freezer bags or small container for up to 6 months.
Click on a recipe to download it.
Fried Rice, Beans & Fish:
Kidney Bean Burgers: